You have at least one incredible talent that lies entirely beyond your awareness. You might even have more than one. There are so many things you’ve never tried or even considered that it’s practically guaranteed that you don’t even know what your most extraordinary talent might be.
Imagine how much fuller your life could be if you were able to find a few of these hidden talents. You don’t know what you’re missing!
Discover your talents and learn more about yourself with these strategies:
1. Follow your interests. One approach to life is built on the belief that your interests will lead you to find your talents and purpose. All you have to do is get off the couch, pursue these interests, and see where they take you.
Whether you have a nagging urge to learn computer programming or a fascination with jazz piano, follow those breadcrumbs and see where they lead.
Make a list of all the interests you’ve never actually tried. Start with those that have been long-time interests and make plans to do them finally. Just pick one and do it. See what happens.
2. List your strengths.
What are you good at?
What can you naturally do that others seem to struggle at?
What are the strengths you’ve developed over the years?
Given all of those strengths, what else do you think you’d be good at? This list can be an effective way to identify talents you’ve never considered.
3. Ask for advice. Your friends and family know plenty of things about you that you don’t know about yourself. Ask them what they believe your strengths are. Ask them what they think your talents are and how you could best use them. Most of your friends and family would be happy to do this for you.
4. What do you like to talk about?
What do you want to talk about with your friends?
Is there a topic that you always seem to mention every time you hang out?
Do you like to share the latest scientific news with your friends?
Are you constantly telling them how you’d like to visit Egypt someday?
5. What talents do you most admire in others? For example, if you are a massive fan of art, determine if you have a hidden artistic talent. Do you love good writing? Try your hand at some short stories.
6. Take an aptitude test. An intelligence test measures intelligence. An achievement test measures how much you know. An aptitude test determines what you would be good at. In a sense, it’s a test that will reveal your talents.
There are plenty of aptitude tests you can take online. Take one and see what you discover.
7. Review your movie, book, and music collection.
What kinds of movies do you like?